This poem features lots of examples of the Year 2 spelling pattern of words where the ‘uh’ sound (like in ‘cut’) is spelt with an ‘o’.
Suggested ideas for use:
-Have children read the poem and see what they notice. What do they notice? Can you spot a spelling pattern that is prominent? What do you notice about the spelling words?
– Can you underline all the examples of the spelling pattern? (brother, other, mother, Monday, nothing)
– Can you write any more examples of this spelling pattern that you know which aren’t in the poem?
– Can you copy a verse from the poem, making sure to spell the focus words correctly each time?
– Can you write your own poem or silly sentences using the focus words?
– Can you ‘pyramid write’ the words we are focusing on today?
– Can you ‘say it silly’ with these words and actually say out loud the ‘oh’ sound just so you remember to write it?