This is a poem I put together to highlight examples of words where the ‘ur’ sound like in ‘hurt’ is spelt with ‘or’ (word, work, worth, world). This is a Year 2 spelling pattern to be taught as per the UK National Curriculum.
Suggested ideas to use it are:
- Have children read the poem and see what they notice. Can you spot a spelling pattern that is prominent? What do you think of the poem? Did you like it? Is anything repeated in it? Does it rhyme? How many verses are there? How many lines per verse?
- Can you underline all the examples of the spelling pattern? (word, works, world, worth)
- Can you write any more examples of this spelling pattern that you know which aren’t in the poem?
- Can you copy a verse from the poem, making sure to spell the focus words correctly each time?
- Can you write your own poem or silly sentences using the focus words?
- Can you ‘pyramid write’ the words we are focusing on today?
- Can you ‘say it silly’ with these words and actually say out loud the ‘or’ spelling just so you remember to write it? (eg, w-or-d. Sounds silly but you won’t forget what letters you need to write!)